Saturday, June 27, 2020


Almost done…

What progress we can make when we chip away at things a little at a time.  Don’t ever think that everything has to get done in one day…the little things do add up, and they add up in a BIG way. 
Slowly, mainly on the weekends, I would take a bit of time and at least quilt one block; maybe two.  And, over the last couple of months, while all staying at home to stay safe from the virus, here I am just about ready to complete the quilting on a quilt I thought I might never finish.   I’m so excited and pleased to at least be getting this completed – after about a year of it sitting on my quilting table and my lamenting at the mistake I had made…  I’ve gotten past that; it won’t be show quality, but maybe it wasn’t meant to be.

The teardrop on the border really sets off the quilt.  Such a fun pattern to quilt, too

My last push was the teardrop quilting around the edge of the border.  I got the idea by watching Christina Cameli – she’s doing daily “draw with me” type tutorials during this pandemic as we’re all eager to continue exercising our creative outlets.  I saw her do the pattern and thought, “hey, I could use that”.  She’d noted that she had done a whole quilt in this pattern and that she “loved it”.  I can see why…after quilting a portion of the border, I have to say, “I love it”, too!  It’s just a beautiful, wandering design that thrives on variation.  I can see me using this pattern on other quilts…

I am quite pleased with the quilting on the quilt…I strove to make the quilting pattern in each block different; so each is unique.  And, I’m so happy I chose to simply use a non-pattern backing for the quilt as you can see all the wonderful quilting (mistakes and all).  I especially like how you can see the outline of the applique pattern among the various quilting patterns. 




Meanwhile, I hit my own milestone on a quilt pattern I have struggled with for years to get right.  I finsihed my 120th piece and now am ready to start arranging the blocks for my Wheel of Mystery quilt.  I always thought if I could piece this quilt, why, then, I’ve become an accomplished quilter.  I’ve done it – but now, I think I can push for more.

This is only part of the stack of 120 blocks...they're up on the wall, being "arranged"


I have several art quilts I have drawn up and want to work on ( I already started a Paula Nadelstern kaleidoscope – the challenging method), so I think those will come next as I work on getting at least one more of the 5-8 quilt tops hanging on my banister quilted this year.  Paula’s method is time consuming, but really allows your creativity to flow – and you don’t know how it’s all going to turn out in the end.  It’s a surprise, no matter how much you plan…


My first block using Paula's technique.  I'm excited to try more!


Little by little, we can accomplish much. 

Enjoy the little things for they add up to monumental achievements, even if only in our own eyes.
Happy quilting!

2 comments:

  1. Your daisy appliqué quilt is beautiful and I love the quilting. I've used that teardrop motif a lot and have done it all over on more than quilt. it is so versatile as it can be any size or go in any direction.
    I also love your kaleidoscope blocks. It's hard to beat Paula's fabrics or designes. I took a class from her many years ago and I still have that quilt hanging in my studio. It was difficult piecing .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic quilting and a spectacular kaleidoscope block!

    ReplyDelete